The Best ThinkPad to Buy in 2023 is From 2018
I have a deep love for ThinkPad laptops (despite being underwhelmed with ThinkPad T14s Gen 1) and enjoy using one for my “creative writing needs”. When you wake up one day in 2023 and think “Oh, I need a new dedicated laptop for writing.” the obvious choice is a laptop with an excellent keyboard.
They have the best keyboards in the industry. Period.
We all have a stressful daily life, so I’ll cut right to the meaty bits:
Get a 6th gen. 2018 ThinkPad X1 Carbon with 8th gen. Intel Kabylake R Processors.
Buy it from reputable refurbishers.
There you have it. Best advice for getting a “side-laptop” to write on. While it will perform perfectly fine with Windows 10 or 11, this is a great occasion to give Linux a chance! Anyways, here are the advantages of the 2018 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon in 2023 (and beyond):
- Refurbished A-grade models usually look and perform like new.
- Out-of-this-world keyboard experience.
- i5 and i7 processors are both quad core and perform excellent.
- Great screen options of Full HD and above.
- Great battery life of around 8–10 hours (especially under Linux).
- Can be had for about 500 US $ or your equivalent currency.
- Looks sleek and stylish as hell.
- Great pool of official service and replacement parts.
- Dedicated community around ThinkPad Laptops for plenty of advice.
Upgradeability is limited on the X1, so get the specs you really need.
Here is some advice:
- i5 processors are plenty powerful for a thin and light ultrabook used mainly to write content.
- FULL HD is the perfect resolution for a 14" device, providing a sharp image while being relatively cheap on energy draw.